Spring is here and Summer will not be that far behind. While this does mean more time spent outdoors, it also means more lawn maintenance. With the weather getting warmer, it is only a matter of time before your local flora springs back to life, leaving you with a laundry list of chores to do–including cutting your grass. One of the most common tools used to accomplish this task is the best commercial walk behind mower. With a wide blade and often the ability to determine how tall you want the grass to be after the cut, it is by far one of the easiest and most convenient ways to cut your grass. Though, there is actually a surprising amount of variation between the different commercial walk behind mowers.
Figuring out which commercial walk behind mower is the right one for you can be a difficult and confusing task. That is why we have put together a list of the 5 best commercial walk behind mowers, highlighting what each one does best. Then we provide a helpful buyer’s guide, so you can find the best commercial walk behind mower to suit your needs.
|Name||Dimensions, in||Weight, lbs||Power Source||Desc, in|
|Greenworks 25022||16.13x26.88x18||56||corded-electric, 12 amp||20|
|Earthwise 50518||19x52x42||44||corded-electric, 12 amp||18|
|BLACK+DECKER MTE912||36.56x15.31x7.38||13.1||corded-electric, 6.5 amp||12|
|American Lawn Mower 1204-14||24x20x42.5||20||self-propelled||14|
|Sun Joe MJ401E||16.5x61.5x29||33.95||corded-electric, 12 amp||16.5|
1. Greenworks 25022 – Best All-Around Value Commercial Walk Behind Mower
Greenworks Tools is not actually its own company but is instead a subsidiary brand under the umbrella of the larger conglomerate Globe Tools. That said, the company does offer some impressive accolades to support its inclusion on our list, including numerous awards won for their various electric power tools.
That said, it should be noted that Greenworks Tools does not specialize in commercial walk behind mowers specifically, nor does it even focus on lawn care equipment more broadly. Still, it offers one of the better values that we found.
Has Multi-Function Use
Good Mower Specs
One of the better qualities that should stand out when looking at the Greenworks 25022 commercial walk behind mower is that its specs are either comparable or superior to that of its competitors. For instance, this mower features a powerful 12 amp motor that is more than capable of handling yards of up to an acre or more–though it is not ideally suited for large expanses of lawn. Still, the power of this commercial walk behind mower is only enhanced by the fact that it features a 20” deck, which means that you will not have to make nearly as many passes while cutting your lawn compared to some of the other commercial walk behind mowers that we reviewed.
2. Earthwise 50518 – Best Performing Commercial Walk Behind Mower
Earthwise is another brand on our list that is not actually its own company and is instead owned by a corporation that we have paid close attention to: the American Lawn Mower Company. This means that Earthwise is backed by a company with over a century of experience providing top-quality lawn care equipment.
Even better than that, Earthwise specializes not only in lawn care equipment broadly but commercial walk behind mowers specifically with only products under their care. This allows Earthwise to focus all of their energies on producing the best product possible which has led to this commercial walk behind mower being featured as the editor’s choice best performing pick.
An Eye on Safety
An Option for Every Yard
3. BLACK+DECKER MTE912 – Best Hybrid Commercial Walk Behind Mower
When it comes to brand name recognition, there is simply no company on our list that can hope to even come close to BLACK+DECKER. As one of the best selling power tool brands in the world, BLACK+DECKER is also the owner of numerous other brands which are equally well-known and well-respected including being part of the hand tool conglomerate Stanley Tools.
Still, it should be understood that BLACK+DECKER does not specialize in commercial walk behind mowers specifically or even lawn care equipment in general. That said, this product is definitely unique on our list.
A Jack of all Trades
Great All-Around Specs
Though the BLACK+DECKER MTE912 is not necessarily the best in any of the standard commercial walk behind mower specs, it does still have a number of solid features. For instance, since it is technically a weed eater, it does not use a blade to cut the grass and instead relies on weed eating wire to do so. To make that quality even more convenient, the BLACK+DECKER MTE912 also features an automatic feed system, so you do not have to use a manual action to unspool more of the wire when necessary. In terms of general specs, the BLACK+DECKER MTE912 has a 6.5 amp motor which would be underpowered to push a steel blade but is more than capable of driving the wire which actually cuts your grass. The housing for the BLACK+DECKER MTE912 even features an acceptable deck size of 12”.
4. American Lawn Mower 1204-14 – Best Push Reel Commercial Walk Behind Mower
If the American Lawn Mower Company is not the oldest corporation on our list with one of the more storied histories, then it is quite likely nearly so. This company was founded well over a century ago in 1895 and has been producing high-end lawnmower products for the duration of its existence.
In fact, if the name did not give it away, this company not only specializes exclusively in manufacturing lawn care equipment, it actually focuses even further on making lawn mowers and lawn mowers alone, giving it a distinctive edge in understanding what makes a lawn mower great.
A Different Breed
While some people may be turned off by the fact that this is a truly and completely manual commercial walk behind mower, the push-reel arrangement actually provides a few benefits. Beyond not having to worry about an external fuel source, this is also by far the most durable commercial walk behind mower that we saw. In fairness, this is in a large part due to the absence of moving parts and components associated with either a motor or an engine, but it is also influenced by the materials used in its construction. Quite simply, this is the only commercial walk behind mower on our list that, aside from the wheels and the handles, is made entirely out of steel or a steel alloy.
5. Sun Joe MJ401E – Best Price Budget Commercial Walk Behind Mower
Sun Joe is actually a fairly interesting company in that it is only half of the company. The other half, Snow Joe, is actually how the company began with a singular product, its automatic snow shovel. With the success of that product, the company expanded to include a wide variety of outdoor maintenance equipment. That said, this does mean that Sun Joe does not specialize in commercial walk behind mowers or even products that are centered around lawn care.
Still, the company does provide a solid value, especially considering that they are the least expensive standard commercial walk behind mower that we reviewed.
A Good Value
A Concerning Flaw
Whenever you make it a point to go bargain shopping, you should expect to find some flaws that are less than ideal. While usually this means that the products are underpowered or do not perform as well as their more expensive competition, it may not necessarily be a dealbreaker. That said, the biggest flaw with the Sun Joe MJ401E is the fact that its housing is made of plastic. Depending on the lawn you need to cut, this can make the Sun Joe MJ401E potentially dangerous. This is because the plastic housing is not going to be anywhere near as durable as a steel housing would be and should it break, could present numerous safety risks to you or others.
Best commercial walk behind mower — Buyer’s Guide
Though it might at first blush seem as though there is but a single type of commercial walk behind mower, the truth is that there are a couple variations on the design. In fact, the slight variations can actually spell a big difference in terms of how the commercial walk behind mower performs making one type either more appropriate for a given setting than another or even offering versatility that is otherwise fairly uncommon among the product’s market.
That said, unless you have a yard to cut that is somewhat unusual in nature or a particular predilection, you should probably just stick with the standard type.
- Standard – This is the type of commercial walk behind mower everyone generally first thinks of when they actually consider a mower. This type of mower is defined by a large body that houses either a motor or an engine that will ultimately drive the blade which cuts the grass. These mowers are larger than the other types, but they are also more powerful. In fact, if you have heavy duty grass, then this is really the only type of commercial walk behind mower to consider. On top of that, this is also the only type of commercial walk behind mower that provides a genuine mulching option–though that is not a standard feature, even on this type of commercial walk behind mower.
- Push-Reel – Though you may not necessarily know it by its technical name, it is quite likely that you are at least familiar with the push-reel commercial walk behind mower in passing at least. The primary difference between this type of mower and others is that it is entirely manual in all respects. There is no motor or engine to drive the blades which are instead connected directly to the wheels. Thus, as you push this type of commercial walk behind mower, the blades will spin and cut the grass. The primary benefit of this type of commercial walk behind mower is that it does not require a fuel source of any kind, beyond elbow grease, and can be used to cut yards that do not have access to either gasoline or electricity. This quality simultaneously serves as its primary benefit as well as its primary drawback, since it relies entirely on your physical force.
- Hybrid – To be clear, this is not actually a type of “true” commercial walk behind mower at all. Instead, this type of mower is, in fact, a weed eater that has a housing which allows you to easily keep the wire level so as to provide an even and consistent cut height. That said, this is by far the most versatile of the different types of commercial walk behind mower in that it can at least accomplish two primary yard work tasks: mowing the grass and weed eating the edges. Even better, some hybrid commercial walk behind mowers even have the ability to function as a lawn edge as well. The primary disadvantage of this type of commercial walk behind mower is that it is usually significantly underpowered compared to a standard commercial walk behind mower.
When considering the material of a commercial walk behind mower, you must understand that this generally refers to a single part of the product: the housing. Essentially, if the commercial walk behind mower uses blades, then the chances of those blades not being made out of some kind of steel are slim due to the fact that the blades will generally need to be able to potentially hit or chop up objects stronger than grass without bending or breaking altogether. Similarly, the wheels of a commercial walk behind mower will almost always be made of uninflated rubber for similar reasons that the blade will be made of steel.
- Plastic – There is no getting around the fact that you will almost without question prefer a different material for the commercial walk behind mower’s housing than plastic. Due to the nature of a mower’s function, plastic simply presents too much of a risk. For instance, if the mower bumps into something, the plastic housing will likely give a little bit which can lead to the blade cutting into the plastic. On top of that, this is a weaker material that can lead to the housing cracking, potentially exposing the blade and creating a legitimate safety risk. Finally, depending on the circumstance, if the plastic housing breaks while you are cutting the grass, the plastic pieces can be cut into shards and propelled by the blade into you or another person.
- Steel – While not universally the best material used for a commercial walk behind mower’s housing, it is very near so. This material is incredibly durable and will not suffer from any of the potential safety risks that a plastic housing can present. For one, this material, aside from not being brittle enough to break into pieces, is even unlikely to bend unless significant force is applied or the metal itself is thin. That said, there are some downsides to a steel housing that might make you consider an alternative. Specifically, a commercial walk behind mower with a steel housing is likely going to be much heavier than a mower with a plastic housing with all other qualities being equal. On top of that, steel is incredibly prone to rust and corrosion when exposed to water and other liquids. This means you will likely need to clean and dry the mower after every use to ensure that it does not degrade over time. Still, assuming those two issues do not present an insurmountable obstacle to using the commercial walk behind mower, you should always opt for a housing that is made out of steel or some similarly strong metal.
As we can see, the best commercial walk behind mower is not going to be a single product that everyone agrees upon. Some people might want a commercial walk behind mower that offers plenty of versatility and can accomplish more tasks than simply cutting the grass. Of course, others will just want the best all-around value commercial walk behind mower available.