What is the best leaf blower
When it comes to cleaning up the garden, an outdoor vacuum and a leaf blower would be a nice and handy addition to your inventory. With the use of such devices, you can clean your garden of both natural and household garbage in a fast and efficient way. But before buying a specific model, it’s necessary to decide on what conditions it is going to be used and what result are you expecting to get in the end.
How to choose a leaf-blower?
Before buying a leaf-blower you need to establish for yourself, whether you need a simple model or a more versatile device with broader functionality. There are several working modes for this type of equipment:
- Blowing - air flow from the blasting tube lets you easily move the trash and leaves into one pile;
- Vacuum - in this mode, as with household vacuum, all trash is collected in a special container;
- Shredder - this mode lets you shred the garbage, before it gets into the container, decreasing its volume. Natural waste (cones, branches, leaves) makes a great fertilizer for your plants.
Types of leaf-blowers
- Hand-held - their lightweight and small construction lets them be easily carried by hands. Mostly used on small territories due to their low efficiency and power.
- Backpack - this is a premium class of gardening equipment. These models are made for long-term usage on large territories that have no power grid because these blowers are equipped with gas-powered engines. The biggest part of the device is formed as a backpack. It gives the operator both an ability to move freely across the working area and an advantage of sparing his energy otherwise wasted on carrying the blower. The only disadvantage of such models is an intense noise coming from the engine.
- Wheel-Walk-Behind Blowers - These powerful machines are made for massive leaf clean-ups on large-scale areas. Wheel-Walk blowers are equipped with wide blow tubes that gather trash from the area of 15-30 inches wide in one go. The volume of trash container can easily reach up to several dozens of gallons. These devices are often equipped with most efficient cutting systems that shred garbage drastically reducing its volume.
What specifications should you pay attention to?
Choosing a leaf-blower it’s important to have 2 main features in mind:
- Air volume - the volume of air being moved, measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM). Every blower is equipped with a turbine moving a specific air volume at a specific speed. The correlation between these two measurements of efficiency defines which tasks the blower is capable of completing. The amount of trash the blower is capable of removing directly depends on its efficiency.
- Maximum airspeed - the speed of air from the turbine is measured in miles per hour (MPH). The higher speed of the air flow lets you move trash on longer distances so that you will spend less time cleaning larger areas with higher air speed. In addition, higher airspeed lets you move trash that weighs more, moving even thicker trash. Air blower with high air speed is capable of moving wet leaves, snow, ice, branches and even small stones.
When is it air volume and air speed more important for the user?
Let’s have a look at a couple of examples:
- If the cleaning area is large, but has little to no trees and fallen leaves, an air blower with high speed and small air volume would be better. You will be able to move across the area, blowing leaves to long distances with no need to move large amounts of trash.
- If the cleaning area is large with a big amount of trash on it, you will need both the speed and the volume to clean it.
- If you need to clean a small area, e.g. an inside yard with a lot of leaves on it, the air volume is more important than the speed here.
Types of engine
- Gas engines - the most powerful and efficient, will be perfect for large areas. Disadvantages - heavy weight and high noise level.
- Electric - these models are powerful, weight much less than gas engines, produce much less noise and do not produce any emissions into the atmosphere.
- Battery - the principle is similar to the electric engines except for the fact that you do not have to bother yourself with power cord.